What now?






Koleman has been diagnosed now for about seven years with Asperger's Syndrome.You think I would be pro by now at knowing the best things to do to help him. WRONG!!! Every single day is a learning experience.
  As he graduated from preschool and was getting ready to go to kindergarten, he was excited and just fine about going. Me on the other hand, I was scared to death!! Not only was my baby going to be in kindergarten, I had a million thoughts flooding my mind constantly; what if kids make fun of him? What if the teacher is impatient? I hope he can make at least one friend. I hope he does ok being away every day for a few hours.
  Early in August I found out who his teacher was going to be. She was new to the school and I knew nothing about her. To my surprise, my mom had actually worked with her in the college stake relief society. She told me she was very talented and seemed nice, but her personality wasn't the most friendly or patient. Oh great! now what? I found out her number and actually called her and talked to her for a while, so that I could tell her myself about Koley and she didn't just look at a piece of paper to see what he had. I wanted to get a feel for how she was. As I talked with her, she told me she had a thirty year old son that had Aspergers.YES!!! She would probably be perfect for Koley! For some reason I still didn't feel completely confident in having him in her class.
 The night before school started they had a back to school night. When we got there we found out that they had a ton of kids move in last minute and the kindergarten classes were way too big. They had hired another teacher that very day! I also found out that is who Koleman would have. Oh great, all the emotions came flooding back as I had just barely gotten used to the idea of him having this other teacher. I knew I couldn't be close minded about it and maybe this would be a blessing???? So we went down to find his classroom, and to meet this new teacher. The classroom was bare as she was just hired that day. She was sitting at the table. We went over and introduced ourselves. We were a little early so we talked to her for a bit. She greeted Koleman and tried asking him questions. He didn't really talk back. When he went over to look at some books, I explained to her that he had Aspergers Syndrome and to not be offended when he wouldn't look at her or talk to her. She said, "Oh I understand that better than you know. I have a severely autistic son."! What are the odds?! She was so cute with him and I felt such a calm peace come over me! I loved her almost immediately!
 The first day of school, I cried all day. Koleman did awesome though and came home extremely happy! What a blessing. I knew then that everything would be ok and that he would have a great year.

Comments

Popular Posts