His Timing is Always Best.

So things have been pretty crazy the last couple weeks. I was positive I wouldn't get a job in the school district here. I was preparing the kids as best I could for the possibility of moving. It seemed it would be the inevitable path we were to take. I was worried sick. How would Koley do? Kids don't know him like they do here. The kids here are so amazing with him. They look out for him, cheer him on, make sure he's ok if he has a meltdown. Koley is special and has his many quirks. He shouts out random things at random times. He doesn't respond often when people talk to him, not because he's ignoring you, but because he doesn't know how to socialize like most people. He flaps his arms or shakes his head. To anyone who doesn't know him, he's weird. Sometimes people think he's a brat because of his meltdowns. We often get odd looks when we are out in public and he randomly shouts something off the wall. How would kids treat him if they didn't know him? Even if they know he's different, will they still be kind? Will they make fun of him? Will they get used to his "quirkiness"? How can I make sure he will be ok? We would already be changing all that he knows, his house, school, kids he knows. I can't even think of how it would be if I had to deal with kids being mean on top of all of the other changes he would be having to get used to. Then what about Addie? She's a lot more adaptable, but is at such a sensitive stage in her life. She has amazing friends here that she trusts. What if she can't find friends like that? Will she feel accepted? These thoughts were keeping me awake for three nights straight. What can I do? I applied at school districts all over the state and other states as well. I have to provide for my kids, and sitting around waiting for a job here is not how to do it with all of the odds against me. I emailed principals around the district here that had openings posted, letting them know I was interested in an interview if it was possible. I had an interview that following Monday. I was nervous, but feeling much more confident than when I went to the screening interviews at the school district. I walked in. There sat the whole second grade team, the whole fifth grade team, the staff developer, and the principal. If that wasn't intimidating, I don't know what is!! I answered their questions. Surprisingly, I felt relaxed and confident in how I responded. I left feeling unsure one way or the other, but still feeling a sense of peace. The next day, while in the middle of my intervention group with some of the fifth graders, my phone lights up. It was an email from another principal telling me she had a fourth grade opening that she would like to interview me for. As soon as I could, I called her and told her I would love to come interview.
  The next morning as I was walking into school my phone lights up again. This time it was an email from the principal that I had interviewed with the Monday before. She wanted to come observe me teach that day. I emailed her back and told her that she was welcome to come watch me teach math that morning. This had to be good right? If she wasn't interested, she wouldn't make the effort to come watch me teach. I was going over my lesson when, once again, I got an email notification. She wasn't able to come observe me that day because she had prior engagements that she had forgotten about. We set up a time the following day for her to come observe.
   After school, I drove to the other interview. Although a little nervous, I felt peace. I didn't know why, but it felt good to finally have such a peaceful feeling. I walked in and let the office secretary know I was there for the interview. A few moments later the principal came out and greeted me and showed me into her office. This interview was a bit less intimidating with only the principal, staff developer, and school counselor present. They took turns asking me questions. I answered confidently and to the best of my ability. When I was finished we were laughing and it felt as though I was talking with friends. I walked out feeling happy. That peaceful feeling didn't leave. Whatever happens now, happens. I can't go back. There's nothing I can do. It is in the Lord's Hands. He knows what is best.
    The next morning as I was driving to school, my phone rang. It was the principal that was supposed to come and observe me teach that day. She was cheerful as I answered her call. "Andrea, I talked with the principal at Horizon Elementary (the principal I interviewed with the day prior) last night. We were both talking about putting an offer in for you to teach at our schools. I wanted to call you before and let you know that whatever you want to do is totally up to you. I just want you to know that although I would love you at our school, I feel that Horizon would be a better fit for you." Wait...did she just say I had a job offer?! I thanked her for her advice and honesty. About three hours later, I received a call from the school district telling me the principal at Horizon Elementary had put in an offer to teach fourth grade. Before the poor girl could get out all of the words, I nearly shouted, YES! She laughed and said, "I guess I don't even need to finish asking!" I couldn't believe it!!! Fourth grade!! A school that was amazing. A principal that was above and beyond amazing. A staff developer that was amazing. I was beyond thrilled!
    HE KNOWS! The second I started losing faith in what was supposed to be, the second my whole demeanor changed. I was feeling discouraged. I didn't think I could handle it. I was giving up hope. I want to kick myself. HOW? How could I have EVER doubted in His timing. His plan for me. He KNOWS!!! He has orchestrated my journey beautifully from start to finish. From feeling inspired to go back to school. To getting jobs that helped build a foundation in my career. To getting accepted into the Elementary Education program. To being able to interview and receive an apprenticeship. To the mentor teacher I was placed with. To my new job!! He has been there EVERY step of the way. When there were days I didn't even know how I could function, let alone write papers, take care of my precious kiddos, and go to school, He was there. He was giving me strength that I absolutely did not have on my own. He is the reason I am where I am. I NEVER should have lost even a tiny bit of faith. I know He has helped me, walked with me, and even carried me through the past several years. I know He will continue to...if I allow Him to. He is there no matter what. We just have to ask. We have to talk to Him. We need to seek Him out. He NEVER leaves us. Even when we turn our backs on Him. I love Him more than can ever be put into words. He lives. He loves us. He knows. His timing is ALWAYS best. Always.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you got the job! I have been worried about you ever since your last post and praying that you'd get a job in the district (I hope that's not too weird coming from a stranger). You are stronger than I think you realize and you'll be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts