Peace Comes Through Faith...
I'm not a huge "resolution maker" for a few reasons. I usually overwhelm myself with too many things I need to work on, so I don't work on any of them like I should. Although it's great and certainly necessary to have goals for yourself, for me, I like to focus on today. What can I do TODAY to better myself? I do have one overarching goal, and that is to strengthen my faith to the extent of placing every ounce of trust in my Heavenly Father in all things. Always knowing that as long as I'm doing my best, He will provide the strength I need to face challenges, to make decisions, and to stand strong in my standards always. My faith has been shaky lately. Not in Him, but in trusting Him in knowing what is best if that even makes sense. I want so badly to have things work out in life the way I see and feel best. I'm trying too much to control how things should be that it makes me feel overwhelmed, scared, and oft times a deep sense of sadness. I'm not placing my trust in Him. I'll think I am, but really I am fearful. We know fear and faith cannot exist in the same state of being. It's impossible. I just read the most amazing talk by Elder David A. Bednar from the 2015 April General Conference entitled, "Therefore They Hushed Their Fears." In this talk Elder Bednar provides three things we can do to hush our worldly fears; 1. Look to Christ 2. Build upon the foundation of Christ 3. Press forward with faith in Christ.Look to Christ
When we are focusing our thoughts and actions with Christ in mind at all times, how much happier and more peaceful we feel! There are many distractions. Worldly distractions that can deter our thoughts and actions from focusing on Christ and His love for us. Unfortunately, it is extremely easy to get distracted. Elder Bednar refers to the time that the Lord's Apostles were in a ship in the sea and were being tossed around on rough waters. As Jesus walked on the water to them, they didn't recognize Him and were afraid. He told them to be not afraid, that it was He. Peter responded saying that if it was really Him, he would be able to walk on the water to Him. Jesus told him to come. And so Peter walked on the water toward Jesus. As the winds picked up, he was afraid and began to sink. Jesus reached out and pulled him up. The second he let the fear take over, he was no longer able to have the faith needed to walk on the water toward the Lord.
I think of this as it applies to life now. The second we look away from the Lord, and allow worldly fears to set in, we can no longer have that faith needed to allow peace and comfort in times of need. Like I said, sadly, I have been so consumed with wanting things in my life to be just how I think they should be, that I have been extremely fearful that things won't end up how I want them. I have been forgetting that I am not the one that knows the big picture. I have not been placing my faith in the Lord and what He knows is best, whatever it may be. I have been so fearful and not faithful, that I have been allowing these fears to dictate how I feel, how I think, and even how I present myself. I need to keep my focus on looking to Christ.
Build Upon the Foundation of Christ
I have been so blessed to be able to attend the temple often in the last little while. There, I am reminded of the sacred covenants that I have made. I am reminded of the immeasurable amount of blessings that will come if I stay firm in keeping and living my life in accordance with the sacred covenants that I have made. Last week I was able to go and do Initiatory. As I listened more intently to the sacred words spoken, I was so excited. We are SO blessed!! What amazing promises that are made to us if we just do all that we can to live in a way that is in harmony with the commandments. The blessings promised if we do our part are the greatest gifts we can EVER receive! The amazing thing is that there is not one person that does not have the opportunity to receive these blessings! Unfortunately, Satan is still loose. He still has the ability to deter us from what will only bring misery...if we allow him to do so. If we are mindful of the ordinances and covenants we make, and do all in our power to live in accordance of those, we can stand strong! We can feel peace!
Press Forward With Faith
As I reflect on my life, especially the last 6 years, I am still in awe of how beautifully orchestrated it has been constructed by my Father in Heaven. There is not one day that I don't see His hand in my life. From the prompting I had to go back to school, not knowing why, but knowing it was coming from the Lord and that it was absolutely necessary. To getting accepted into the elementary education program. To getting an internship. To getting a job. To being able to now provide for my kids and I. And in the midst of all of those amazing events, building my confidence, becoming who I know I was sent here to become (slowly, but surely), and seeing the strength I have been provided by my loving Heavenly Father to endure these things while trying to uphold the most sacred calling I could ever have, that of being a mother. I have literally been carried through much tribulation. I can almost tangibly feel the strength that I have been given to get to the point I am today. I can see His hand in all things. Like I said, lately I have not been putting my faith forward in His timing and in His will. Because of that, I have been sad, scared, and felt overwhelming feelings of despair at times. I should be the first to know that HE KNOWS BEST! I just need to do my part, which I have not been doing, in having my trust placed completely in Him and showing the faith that I do have buried somewhere. Peace can only come through faith in our Father in Heaven.
This year, as I said, I don't really make resolutions, but one thing I am going to implement is consciously putting my faith, trust, and hope in the Lord. He knows each and every one of our needs, our wants, our desires, and He knows what will be best. I am SO grateful for Him. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have. I often feel that I am the most blessed person ever to have all that I do!

Comments
Post a Comment